Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A Salute To The Greatest Man I've Ever Known! ~Guest Post

 *Disclosure: BuckeyeMomsMeet is in no way affiliated with RRS foundation other than supporting my brother's dream.

Hi, It's Ronda The person behind Buckeye Moms Meet.  As some of you may know I grew up in a large family.  Eleven of us total!  As a young child my family had a devastating house fire.  We lost everything in a matter of 30 minutes except the clothes on our back.  We became homeless until we were able to save and rebuild.  After many years of struggles my parents finally saved enough money to purchase a two bedroom home.  At this time there was a program that aired every Tuesday called Tuesday's Child.  Each week they would feature a different foster child in need of a forever home.  My parents having known the feeling of not having a place to call home wanted to share our new home with a child who didn't have one!  Over the years they had come to adopt six children, giving them forever homes!  This is one of their stories.


A Salute To The Greatest Man I've Ever Known!
I was 8 years old the day I met him. I was not sure what to think, a little scared and excited but definitely guarded. He was tall and he wore cowboy boots and jeans with a T-shirt tucked into them. He had a mustache and he wore a ball cap on his head. He had broad shoulders, big strong hands, and his keys jingled when he walked. He was introduced to me as Bob Sexton. He shook my hand and smiled and as he did so there was a twinkle in his eye. I knew right away he was someone I could trust. See, I was a foster child and I was going to live with a new family. I had spent the last 5 almost 6 years in child protective services. My biological Mother was unable to care for me due to her own demons she couldn't shake. It wasn't all roses and I was subject to a lot of abuse while in foster care and in group homes so I came with my share of problems. My dad however was patient, understanding, and loving no matter what I did.
Mr. Sexton and his wife Mary Sexton were going to take me home to my forever home. They loaded me into their car, a blue Chevy Blazer and headed for their house. It was a long trip into the mountains and then eventually to a desert about 2 hours outside San Diego. When we arrived, I was greeted by three siblings. Two brothers and One sister. They welcomed me in as one of their own.
The home I grew up in was full of life and love. My dad taught me to be the man I am today. My dad taught me that my word is the only thing in this world that no one can take from me.  He taught me to always do what you say your going to, and to stand up for whats right and for those that can't stand up for themselves. Stand for something and make no apologies for the things you believe in. My dad would have given his shirt to anyone if they had only asked. In the end my dad adopted six kids including me, there are 9 of us Sexton kids now.
My dad passed away May 15th 1999. He lost his battle to bone cancer after almost 4 years. I didn't know what to do, I was lost!   My hero had died and I hadn't showed him how much he meant to me. I am certain he knows now, but I had not at that point showed him in my opinion how much I appreciated what he did for me.
I've gone back to school and I received a degree in social work, and now I would like to put to use. In honor of my dad I am building a nonprofit called The RRS Foundation ( my dads name was Robert Randall Sexton) The foundation will support foster kids who have aged out of foster care and want to go to college, by giving them shelter, food, transportation, and day care services if needed. 
Statistics show that almost 80% of all foster kids that age out of the system are either in jail, homeless, or dead in the first years on their own. Even worse than that only 3-4% earn a degree at the 2 or 4 year level. There is money available in most states for them to use to go to school but not enough resources for them to survive on their own and resulting in the 80% statistic I mentioned earlier. The RRS Foundation will provide that much needed support and change lives one young adult at a time. To support The RRS Foundation click here.
Written by Toby M Sexton
Founder & CEO

No comments:

Post a Comment