I know...I know, I've been talking a lot about socks lately. You see every time I do laundry and come across a lost sock I throw it into our "lost sock box". Then every couple months I pull out my lost sock box and attempt to make some matches. Well it happens to be that time of year again, every time I become more and more baffled by this crazy phenomenon!
I mean how does this even happen? Really? We wear a pair of socks, throw them in the laundry and wa-la only one sock comes out. Looking for answers I went straight to the knower of all things...The Internet! I know they say you can't believe everything you see on the Internet, but really I had no where else to turn. I need answers!
Folks have all sorts of theories on this phenomenon! Psych doctors believe it's all in our head, that these socks are not really missing. Pfft, whatever doc! On to the next theory! Some scientific math whiz came up with a whole new theory:
The first modern attempt to explain the fundamental questions of laundry involved the decay theory. The decay theory states that the quantity of socks in a load can be expressed as a decreasing exponential function of time which is analogous to radioactive decay (see equation 1).
Nt =N0*exp(-pt) (1)
I then came across the Bureau of Lost socks, (yes there is such a thing) again not much luck there as to where my socks have gone.
I decided to take some hints from folks like me who are on the same great hunt. Folks who's mission is to be smarter than the average lost sock! Some great tips I have come across are listed here:
- Throw out all your socks, then go to the store and buy a package or two of all the same type of socks. Throw them all in a drawer and just grab two out when you need a pair of socks! Done! No more sorting socks ever! you can even get black socks and white socks and keep them in the same drawer...Brilliant!
- use Sock Clips! to be honest I didn't even know of these little gadgets. I do believe there are some great handy people out there who come up with everything! Hopefully it will be me one of these days! These handy little clips hold your socks together in the wash, hence no more lost socks! I did research these, they are available in all shapes and sizes, in all price ranges!
- Tie your socks together as soon as you remove them from your feet...simple enough!
- Put all your pairs of socks in a Mesh delicates Bag zip it up and keep all your socks together in the laundry!
- Hang a small clothesline in your laundry room and hang your lost socks on it! this way when you happen across the mate you can match them up right away! As for me I would need a clothesline across my whole house to be able to hold all my lost socks!!
I hope these tips are able to help a few of you keep your socks together with their mates!
Back to tip number 1, if you are like me and hate to throw things away especially your fun printed socks, I came across a fun book while doing my Internet research. The book is called Lost Sock! 200 Clever Ways To Use Your Single Socks!
This book would be a great housewarming gift, white elephant gift, or holiday gift for anyone really! If you are interested in this book you can check it out here, Lost Sock! 200 clever Ways To Use Your Single Socks!
Have a great day, Thank you for visiting my Blog :)