I got the inspiration for this sandwich from my nine year old son. We were sitting at dinner one night eating Spaghetti and he says, "wouldn't it be weird if someone made a spaghetti sandwich?" Ding...Ding...Ding, I'm weird, I can make a spaghetti sandwich! So without further ado, I bring you The Meat lovers Spaghetti and Meatball sandwich!
Warning: This is super delicious and just might wreck your diet!
Things you need:
- Hoagie buns or french sandwich rolls
- Spaghetti noodles
- sweet Italian sausage
- meatballs (you can make your own or buy ready to eat)
- spaghetti sauce (again, make your own the way you like it or buy a jar of your favorite)
- red bell peppers
- minced garlic
- honey for taste
- fresh basil for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil
- add spaghetti noodles to your boiling water ( boil according to package directions) then strain and set aside
- brown Italian sausage in a skillet
- add diced onion, bell peppers, garlic, Italian seasoning to the sausage
- add spaghetti sauce and meatballs to the sausage mixture (let the flavors dance for a good five minutes on low)
- I like to add a little bit of honey to my sauces to balance out the acidity.
- add the cooked spaghetti noodles to your sauce and stir
- butter your bread sprinkle with garlic powder, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese, place in toaster oven until lightly browned
- add spaghetti inside your toasted bun
- top with meatballs, Parmesan cheese, and basil for garnish!