Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Pray for our Fire Fighters!!!



As  wild fires continue to ravage the western United States, I sit and I wait.  Right now California is in my main focus.  The horrible drought drying up our forests,  bringing on insect infestation is making these fires hot and giving them plenty of fuel to rage across the terrain.   As this fire season continues to claim the land of epic proportions, I can't help but look at the numbers.  Just yesterday alone California had 18 fires burning and over 7000 acres were claimed...just yesterday!   This year to date, almost 7000 fires and over 450,000 acres scorched!  The Rough fire which is burning in the sequoia national forest  has burned over 53,000 acres since it started on July 31, from a lightning strike.  There are 2152 personnel tending to this fire.  One of these 2152 is my brother!



There are 2152 brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, sons and daughters who got the call.  2152 Heroes who had to pack their bags, kiss their children and loved ones goodbye to head out to a monster that is forcing others to leave and find safety.  2152 well trained (physically and emotionally) members of some one's family putting their lives on the line to protect and save forests, properties, and other lives.

I get comfort in knowing my brother is smart and well trained.  What scares me is he is also human and has a good heart.  These men and women go out there and put their lives on the line not because they want praise, but because they thoroughly enjoy what they do!  They fill with pride when they are able to save some one's home or barn, an old tree that may still have a chance, an animal that is scared and lost.  This is what scares me!  If these Heroes think they may have the slight chance of saving your home that is surrounded by flames they are going to do everything they can to do that!  When others run out...they run in!  I often turn on the news only to quickly scan the videos and photography hoping to catch a glimpse of my loved one on the fire line.  Most times they are too busy to check in, or have no signal while fighting these fires.  I follow along on various social media sites to get the updated information on what ever fire "we" are on.   I worry, I pray, and I wait.


I count down the hours of when his shift should be done in hopes of hearing something...anything.  A picture of fire camp or the pop tart he is having for breakfast, anything to let me know he is still alive!  I grew up with my papa who was a retired fire fighter.  He retired after being injured on a fire when a burning tree fell on his head.  He lived the rest of his life with a plate in his head and his arm stuck at a ninety degree angle from not healing properly.  This is how I knew him all of my life and never really realized how incredibly lucky I was to have him in my life until recently.  Within ten days of each other the U.S. forest service lost two of their own.  One only 21 years old named Michael Hallenbeck  of Shingle Springs, California.  He and another fire fighter were struck by a falling tree during the initial attack on the Sierra Fire, in the Lake Tahoe Basin.  Michael Hallenbeck was a member of organized crew 36 on the LTBMU.  The Second USFS firefighter making his final call was David Ruhl, he was entrapped by fire and killed in the initial attack on the Frog Fire in the Modoc National Forest in Northern California.  If this was not hard enough on this brotherhood just last week they lost three more of their brothers to the Twisp fire in North Central Washington.  A college student, graduate, and professional firefighter died after their truck crashed and the flames consumed them as they tried to escape.  Tom Zbyszewski, Richard Wheeler, and Andrew Zajac died doing what they loved and will be greatly missed.  I want to offer my condolences to these young men's family.  I can't even begin to fathom the pain they must be feeling.


I can't begin to even pretend I know what these brave men and women go through out there.  Sure we have been told some go days if not weeks without showers, sleeping on the ground, getting their calories from MREs.  We see pictures of the dirty firemen with their beards growing to the itchy stage.  We see pictures of flames, and fire trucks, and burned up trees.  There is something I do know!  I know these fires are mean, they are strong, they are fierce, and they are dangerous!  There are a lot of loved ones out there that need your positive thoughts, your prayers, and your praise!  Today as you go about your day please pray for these brave men and women on the line, their families, and RAIN!  If you are not a prayer, just please keep them in your thoughts!


31 comments:

  1. I think firefighters are some of the bravest men and women out there. They put their lives on the line to save ours, and I commend them for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine being a firefighter. It goes against human instinct to go towards the fire! I have the utmost respect for firefighters. It takes an amazing person. God bless your brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am not sure I could do that job, I am terrified of fires!

      Delete
  3. Firefight have my upmost respect. I could ever do what they do, they are truly hero's in my book. We pray for them a lot especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firefighters seriously have like ten jobs in one. I definitely have respect for people who do this full time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it blows me away at the amount of energy they are expected to have!

      Delete
  5. To me, they are one of the real herous in the modern world. These modern herous that they called nowadays are nothing compared to what firefighters and other men and wonen in uniform do for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm praying now! They are so brave and have such a dangerous job. Thanks for reminding us to not take these heroes for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have so much respect to Fire Fighters! Its one of the toughest jobs in the world. God Bless fire fighters and their family

    ===== RIKA ==========

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely thinking good thoughts!!!! And yes RAIN - I can't wait for El Nino to roll on in. We need water badly. And such a great post celebrating those brave souls on the fire frontline.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have nothing but great respect to these brave men and women who put their own lives on the line to save and protect others. I hope they get all the support and recognition that they truly deserve. God bless them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are heroes and I have high respects for them. God bless them for protecting people and saving lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always thinking good thoughts. I have friends and relatives who fight a good fight each shift. Its a thankless job at times but for those that do it, may they be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post as well as a tribute to all the brave men and women fighting these relentless fires. They do deserve praise indeed for putting theirs lives at danger every second they are fighting. Prayers go out to all of them and their families for save return. Thanks so much for sharing. Kudos to them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now firefighters are who I consider the biggest hereos. They risk their lives, and do so daily. My kids freak out when they see them and they always wave at my kids even when speeding by with sirens on. I'm always thinking good thoughts, and keeping them in my prayers. - Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot even begin to imagine how brave someone has to be to becomes a firefighter!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I certainly consider firefighters as heroes because they also like go to war whenever they battle those fires. I will keep them in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will definitely be praying for them. I've always said our service workers (firefighters, teachers, police, etc..) never get paid enough for what they do. True brave souls.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It takes special people to be Fire Fighters. They are always in my prayers as well as all service workers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The wildfires bring such devastation every year. Without fire crews and search & rescue, it would be a lot worse. I thank them for their countless hours of work and bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was watching the news about local firefighters from my area who are out west right now. It was really scary to hear about how dangerous it is. They do need prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have the utmost respect for fire fighters. They work tirelessly and put their lives at risk everyday to help save others.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We had a really bad fire in my apartment complex when I was a kid and I am asthmatic, we lived on the upper floor of the building and the fire had ravaged the second floor almost completely, they made a fast assessment that the fire escapes were NOT the best way out and opted to help people out using the stairs. I remember the firefighter warning me that even though he actually zipped me inside his coat because I was so little that I would still feel my lungs engulfed with flames and would have trouble breathing just before the third floor and he was right! When we got outside I realized they made us evacuate so fast I did not get to grab an inhaler, it was super scary but from that day on I definitely learned first hand just how dangerous their job is, they are definitely heroes in my eyes!

    Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for brining attention to this topic! Sometime we forget about the people who help us the most! Firefighters being one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Firefighters will always have my admiration and respect.They put so much of themselves on the line for others. It truly is an amazing thing that they do!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can totally relate on worry about your sibling like that in a dangerous job. I could never watch the news when my brother was overseas while wars were going on. It's amazing how people can do these jobs that we so desperately need someone to do, hope that everything will stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think firefighters are amazing people who do an amazing job. Firemen and police are the heroes we should be thanking.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely praying! They have such dangerous jobs and I'm grateful to them for risking their lives on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Firefighters really are some of the bravest people! Honestly I could never do it! It's wayyy too scary to me!

    ReplyDelete