Thursday, April 9, 2015

Dear Mom,



I awoke this morning and I was thinking of you, so I thought I'd write you a letter!  You know it's almost Mother's Day, I wanted to thank you for being the best!  I remember during my school years making you special art work or trinkets and being so excited to give them to you on this special day!  You were always so excited and would display your gift for everyone to see!  We would pick you flowers all day and you would clip them in your hair, not letting us know they were just weeds.

You were always the best!  I remember you brushing my hair, and fixing my collar, and pulling my crooked pants to line them up straight!  You would shoot pictures of us every chance you got, because you wanted to remember every one of our milestones forever!

You were always the best at making me feel better when I was sick!  You knew exactly what I needed!  You made the best soup!  You drove us countless times to the emergency room, and never let on that you might be nervous.  Your sense of calm made everything better.

You had the best heart of anyone I have ever come to know!  You took in anyone who may have needed you and helped many!  From you I know compassion.  I know if someone is hungry, you feed them.  I know if someone needs your help, you help out in any way you can.  You have taught me forgiveness and unconditional love.

As a teenager, I wronged you!  I laughed at your pain of your arthritis when you tried to scold me.  I was embarrassed by your occasional accidents, from your bladder growing old.  I lied, I sneaked, and I hated you. You, you just kept on loving me!  You would tell me, "you won't know what it's like until you become a mom!"  And you were right!  Mom I am sorry for treating you this way.


I now am a mom too!  Sometimes the pain of seeing your child sick, bullied, or hurt is too much to bear, but you find a way to make it better. The love you have for your children is overwhelming at times, but keep a brave face!  The sass of a teenager is heart breaking, but don't let them know you are crumbling inside because now is the time they need you to be strong!  An aging body is painful and embarrassing.  Now I get it!  I will put on my brave face, pretend like I know everything is going to be alright and just pray my kids will grow up knowing how much they are loved!

Sometimes I think of calling you, but your phone has been dis-connected.  I wrote you this letter, but your P.O. box has changed.  I don't know what the postage would cost or how it could be delivered.  I just wanted to write you, and tell you Thank you for being the best mom ever!  Thank you for loving me always!  I can't wait to visit you soon when the moon kisses the night sky and I fall into a slumber, I will see you then!  Continue to Rest in Peace.

Love you always,  your baby girl

31 comments:

  1. She was a great friend to me and many others. I miss our chats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely letter and tribute to your wonderful mother! I wish I had a mother like yours, but I wasn't so fortunate, though now I've got a great mother in law. Mother's Day always makes me a little bit sad... cherish your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful! My mother passed away a few years ago but you have inspired to write her a letter as well. It's never too late to tell our loved ones how we feel, they're always listening! Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's passing. It was such a sweet letter you wrote to her. I won't be home for Mother's day this year (leaving right before it) but I did get my Mom a really beautiful (and jeeze, super expensive - but hey she's worth it) card to surprise her with when I'm gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful letter to your mom. It is crazy how much motherhood changes how you look back at parts of your child and teen hood. I am sorry for the loss of your mother, I can tell she loved you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a moving letter to your dear sweet mom. I recently lost my mom and it has been really difficult to deal with. I can only aspire to be a great mom to my 3 kids and raise them to be a great parent, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a letter that you wrote. It is so true how becoming a mother changes your perspective on everything including how you treated your own mother while you were growing up. It is so important to tell those around us how much we love them despite how we acted in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww the thought that your child is feeling hurt or bullied is the worst thing. This is because most of the time, the child is an extension of the parent's self, so no matter how old the child is, he or she is still a "baby" in the parent's eyes. We are all praying and hoping that the kids are going to be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine not having my mom around, while I know it will happen eventually it's not a reality I can even remotely envision. With that said, I have so much respect for you to openly share this letter to your mother. While you may not be able to deliver it to her, the thought is still there and the intentions are probably being received loud and clear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderful letter and tribute to your Mom! Thank you for sharing it. It is very heartwarming and made me think of all the awesome things that my Mom has done for me too. Now that I am a Mom too I absolutely appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, this is such a touching post to your mom. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was beautiful. No one can better understand the love & sacrifices of a mom better than another mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we really have a very different outlook of our mothers after we really start raising our own kids. We start to see why they did so many things! Great post about your mother thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this with us. I lost my mom about ten years ago - I wasn't ready. Over the years, and through my own experiences with my children, I've realized and come to understand so much more than I ever did when she was here all that she did for me. I've often thought of writing her a letter.. maybe I should. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bless your heart. What a sweet tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely tribute! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This brought tears to my eyes! What a sweet tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so touching. It made me miss my mom. Me and my mom are continents apart. This is really sweet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful tribute to your mom. Articles like these remind me to draw near to my mother even though our relationship is strained. Life is so short and you never know when you won't have your loved ones with you in the flesh. I'm so glad you shared this with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, mothers are special. How lucky we are that we have one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a beautiful tribute to your mom. This made me think about my mom and how important our relationship is to me. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was really touching. Thank you for being so open and intimate with us! Written so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think you ever stop missing your mom once you've lost her. Your letter was very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a very nice way to honor her. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is beautiful. It makes me think of my own mother and the things that I've done (or haven't done) over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was a beautiful tribute, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was just beautiful & touching!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so well expressed. My mother died two years ago and I wish I could tell her things now. Mother's Day is difficult. Take care, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful letter, you brought tears to my eyes. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am speechless... beautiful, sincere, touching!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing your beautiful letter. Your Mom sounds like she was an amazing Mom and friend! Sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete